Tuesday, May 24, 2011

TELL SOMEONE: That's just what I did.

I found this picture this weekend as I was looking at Mutual Ground website on facebook. This is definitely a HARD concept for people that have been ABUSED to DO! Especially when the incident just happened. Having people re-live their abuse on the stands or to someone else can be emotionally damaging if you are not ready.

Well, today I was talking to some coworkers and I told them about my experience and after sharing how it affected me, and how I had changed from it my coworkers wanted to give me a hug for what happened. You know what, once you get to the survivor stage when I was getting those hugs, I thought it was strange and I didn't need them anymore. I don't need someone to feel bad for what happened. It happened and by TELLING SOMEONE your story, you are showing them you are strong! When someone shares their story you should be telling them "thank you, that is brave of you."

I know that everyone will get where I am today. I am at the stage of, yes I was abused, but that doesn't define me. It makes me stronger and NO ONE CAN ever tell me otherwise. No matter what someone says about the situation I am bigger than it. I can OPENLY SHARE IT AND NOT FEEL ASHAMED!!!!!! It is the greatest feeling to know that.

So congrats to all the brave women/men out there that have TOLD SOMEONE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, and I really appreciate the advice of 'what to say'. For some of us, you don't know what to say or how to respond when someone shares something so personal.

    You are absolutely right, it does take a lot of courage to talk about it. I can imagine it felt very vulnerable at first, but I'm so glad to hear you're feeling more confident. That means you're moving on and healing. So happy for you!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- I am glad this post was helpful to you.( I would love for more than 13 followers to see this and feel the same way you do) Hopefully one day that will happen.

    I think someone that is coming to you after first being raped and being brave for sharing their story, you def want to listen and give them a hug. Ask them if there is anything you can do for them. That is huge to the victim, knowing someone is there for you and won't judge you!

    Thank you so much for reading this post!!! This is what my blog is all about! Inspiring and helping people!

    ReplyDelete