Sunday, March 6, 2011

The live version of Sister Act

Friday after school I had the fabulous opportunity to go to St. Charles and met up with one of my roommates from college. I haven't seen her since winter break and I haven't gotten to talk to her on the phone until this past week. It's not that this person was to busy to talk on the phone she literally couldn't. She is the one and only..........

Marianne! She is in a convent now in NJ's and lives the simple life and wears that outfit every where she goes. Even when she came home from Christmas she got an opportunity to wear her own clothes, which by the way are the brightest clothes to show her happy personality, she chose to wear her outfit that she wears in the convent everyday. She wears it with honor as this is who she is now!!!

On this special Friday I was tickled pink to be able to see her for a couple hrs in St. Charles at St. Patrick's church at a retreat the nuns were having there. When you walk into the church the lobby area it  is filled with poster of all different Convents and nuns in outfits like Marianne has on and in the full covered gowns and vails. ( think Whoopi  Goldburg in Sister Act).  I was surrounded by Nuns every which way I turned. I got to meet some of Marianne's sisters that she is discerning with to become a nun and, I actually got to meet some of the nuns that she will be staying with on her trip here. Marianne allowed me to come see what a convent looks like. It is a house with their own chapel in it. Literally they made one in the house. I was happy to see one convent because it now gives me an idea of what one looks like. So I asked Marianne what this event was about and she explained it to me as a job fair for nuns. People like Marianne can give you information about their sisterhood of the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco to help you make the decision to join or to just let you know who they are so you can pray for them.
The other part of this was a speaker talking about the catholic church. I was looking forward to this since  I hadn't been to church since Christmas. It wasn't just a boring talk. The presenter was a cast of characters. He first came in as a 70 year old women wanting to become Catholic and understanding the simple words of Sacrament( she thought it was a cookie. Comparing it to thin mint cookies). Then he was a college student, a janitor and the best one of all was he came out dressed as a nun. He had the crowd involved by having us stand and sit and singing and shooting and DEFINITELY LAUGHING the whole time.  Marianne who was sitting next to me was cracking up herself. It was a fabulous feeling to be sharing the evening with her.

1 comment: